Monday, October 22, 2007

I'll stick to running in the morning

Today I decided to get an extra 1.5 hours of sleep and went running in the afternoon instead. After the run I know I won't be doing that again.

Throughout the run I felt "heavy" and each step seemed like a challenge. After taking the past few days off from running I was expecting a better result. I'm so accustomed to running in the morning, even if it's 5AM, that I believe my body best responds to running during the AM instead of the afternoon or evening.

I also realize that I need to purchased a new pair of running shoes. I can usually tell when I need a new pair as my plantar starts to act up as well as my right knee. Both were sore during the run today.

I was happy to gut out the 11KM but when I turned the corner and headed for home, I was very pleased that I was finished.

Not every run/workout is going to be a piece of art but you have to keep plugging away and eventually you will reach your goals. One of my favorite sayings is "Pound the Rock." What that means is that if you envision your goal as a huge rock and each workout/healthy eating choice as hammer then try to imagine yourself taking a swing at that rock each day. Some days you may not see the rock move but eventually if you keep pounding away, eventually it will crumble and you will reap the benefits of your hard work.

No comments: