Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Getting started is usually the hardest part!

As I woke up this morning at 5 AM to go for my run, I thought about how nice it would be to sleep in for just a little longer. I ran two days in a row so why not take today off and just relax?
Then I thought about how much I'd regret the decision if I didn't run today.

I went through my normal morning pre-run ritual which included having a cup of tea and a small piece of a banana. Even as I laced up my shoes, I had a little bit of aprehension but off I went anyway. I tried to find a good song to start off with and I decied to use "Soak up the Sun" by Cheryl Crow.

I'm sure the weather change and the fact that it is still dark when I left my house, had something to do with my mood this morning. I already miss seeing the sunrise during my morning runs.

I didn't feel "right" until about the 5 KM mark and then the feeling that comes over me, most times when I go running, hit and I knew that I had made the right decision.

During my run I thought about the constant battles we go through within our own minds which prevent us from doing what we know we should do. So many of my clients go through this on a daily basis. It's so easy to come up with an excuse as to why you shouldn't choose the right course of action. Sometimes we look for others to provide us with help and guidance but if we rely too much on them then it doesn't allow us to develop our own defense system.

As I finished my 13K run I looked up to the sky, pointed straight up and gave thanks. It's been something I've been doing recently. Some of what or who I'm giving thanks to doesn't really matter and I'll keep that private, but most of what I'm giving thanks to is the ability to finish another run.

People love to look at all the negatives that occur within their lives but forget to acknowledge the positives that are happening as well. The ability to overcome our own obstacles is a huge accomplishment and it needs to be celebrated.

No comments: