Thursday, October 25, 2007

An interesting week of running

This has been a very weird week of running as I've had to deal with so many things.

It started with my decision to run in the afternoon on Monday instead of my usual early morning run. This was a bad decision as I felt very sluggish during the run and it was a challenge to finish.

On Tuesday it was raining outside but those who know me realize that this is my favorite weather to run in. However, just before my run I dropped my Garmin GPS unit. Despite numerous attempts at trying to get it to start it wouldn't. Fortunately I was able to borrow my sisters and I made it through the run. I wish I wasn't so addicted to that device but it's been with me ever since I started running and I really can't imagine running without it. Those who have one know what I'm talking about.

I contacted Garmin and tried to reboot the unit but nothing. I was thinking about sending it in to get fixed but I really couldn't imagine being without my Garmin for that long. I decided to purchase the Garmin Forerunner 205 unit which was an upgrade from my last one (Garmin Forerunner 201). This unit will serve me better when I'm running in the trails as it won't lose sattelite signals as much as the 201. Even though I'm very happy with my new toy, it was sad to say goodbye to an old friend.

On Wednesday I had my first opportunity to run with the Forerunner 205 and I'm already impressed. What I wasn't impressed with was how cold it was outside. Instead of wearing shorts and a long sleeve shirt like I did on Tuesday, I had to wear a thicker long sleeve shirt, gloves, skull cap and my cwx tights. Running with all this extra gear took a little getting used to and I already miss the warm early morning weather.

Today the weather was pretty much what it was yesterday although I started my run at 5 AM instead of 6. It's amazing how quiet the roads are at this time and although getting up at 4 AM take a little getting used to, I'm happy that I don't have to worry about running into many cars along the roads.

I'll probably run again tomorrow and possibly Sunday and will do some weight training on Saturday. I wonder what the weather will be like next week?

No comments: