Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Here's what you need to start running!

I get asked by so many people how I'm able to run. The reality is you only need two things :
1. A good pair of shoes
2. An even better attitude

Yesterday my gym was shut down for a few hours in the morning. There were at least a dozen or more people who were unable to workout as a result. Inside of me I knew that I had my workout in as I had run 11KM's in the rain yesterday. I wanted to tell the people that they should go for a run instead of working out but I'm sure that wouldn't have gone over too well so I refrained.

I've yet to meet a weather challenge that will prevent me from running and I'm not alone as I know that there are plenty of others who do the same as I do. During the gym shutdown yesterday I decided to go to the Pickering Running Room and when I was there one of the customers was getting her gait checked.
Getting the proper shoes for running is so important and you need to make sure that you go to a store like the Running Room so that you can find the right shoe that will provide you with the best support.

Once you have the proper shoes the next part is creating a positive attitude. Without a doubt I would say that running is more mental than physical. When you are out there pounding the pavement or trails, your mind will start questioning what you are doing. Eventually if you don't have a good mental focus then it can be easy to talk yourself out of going for a run. Try to remember that the main reason you want to run is because of the enjoyment you will get from doing it. Relax and take it slowly. The Running Room offers a Learn to Run clinic and they are great place to get started. I was fortunate enough to teach one of these clinics and it was one of the best experiences I've had.

Now that the weather is starting to turn cold I find this the hardest time for me to run. I'm fortunate that this will be my third year running in the winter so I'm prepared for what's to come but that doesn't mean I enjoy it. Today I was all bundled up and it took me longer than usual to get warm. Eventually though I found a good rhythm and got through it ok.

The trick to creating a positive attitude is consistency and confidence. Once you go out for a run and realize that you can do it, make sure you "bookmark" that feeling. The more often you can call upon those feelings the more likely it will be that you will talk yourself into going for a run instead of talking yourself out of it.

When you realize that only a small percentage of the population runs outside, then you should take pride in the fact that you are doing something that most people won't do. I will never talk anyone out of running if they really want to do it and will encourage them to get started immediately by getting a good pair of shoes. I'm a perfect example of someone who never thought he'd be running and here I am, 2 years later still pounding the roads and trails.

No comments: