Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Passing my "gift" on to others

One of my favorite weather conditions to run in is the rain so I was lucky enough to experience that this morning. I love seeing the look on the faces of the people who I run by who are bundled up in bus shelters. I'm sure they are probably thinking that I'm nuts.

Ever since my 50K trail run in Haliburton, I seem to be more relaxed during my runs. After doing so many races over the past two years I'm enjoying just running for fun again. I've come to realize that running itself should be it's own reward. I know that eventually I'll get back to doing a few races but for now it's not on my radar.

What has been exciting me recently is the number of people who have told me that they have started to run because of me. This is obviously very overwhelming and much appreciated. I know that I wear my running "badge" with pride on my sleeve and that when I talk about running my enthusiasm is hard to contain. I realize the gift that I was given by an amazing runner a few years ago and if I can encourage more people to take up running then I'll be more than happy.

With so many people trying to run for a specific time, it's important not to get too caught up with that if you are just starting out. Running, at whatever speed you feel comfortable with, should be enough. I always tell new runners that if you start breathing too heavily you're probably going too fast so slow down, control your breathing and try again. There's no harm in taking a walk break if you need to and it's probably why I enjoy trail running so much. During trail races walk breaks are expected so you never have to feel like you are doing something wrong by taking a break.

I'm so proud of the many people who have started running and I only hope that you find the same satisfaction that I have found.

No comments: