Sunday, October 28, 2007

Supplements for runners

I typically don't recommend supplements to my clients until I have a good grasp of their current eating patterns and exercise routines. There are so many supplements on the market today and consumers are left very confused by all that surrounds them.

I do believe a multi-vitamin can help ensure that you are getting at least the minimum amount of vitamins such as Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Iron, and B-Vitamins. For runners who typically run at least 3-5 times per week, these are very important. The Calcium/Magnesium minerals are important in the regulation of muscle contraction and anyone who has suffered from cramps, as I have, can understand the importance of that.

Ever since my cramping at the Mississauga Marathon, I've been able to run cramp free with the help of a liquid Magnesium supplement. I have also been using HEED, which is a post-run recovery drink made by Hammer Nutrition. Immediately after a run I've been using 1 scoop of this and unlike E-Load which tends to be too sweet for me, this literally has no taste and I'm able to get it down with no difficulties. Along with the important electrolytes like Sodium and Potassium, it also contains 25 grams of complex carbohydrates. What I like most about this product is that it contains no artificial sweetners.

Another popular post-recovery drink that I recently saw at my locoal Wal-Mart is Accelerade. This drink has the perfect carbohydrate to protein ratio of 4:1 and the protein is comprised of Whey Protein Isolate which is the highest form of protein you can get. I've been waiting for this product to make it's way to Canada so I was very happy to see it on the shelves the other day. This drink should be used if you plan of doing a run of at least 1 hour.

No comments: