Monday, August 06, 2007

Be your own inspiration!

I get to meet lots of people in my line of work. During my introduction to my nutrition philosophy I always make reference to my own struggles with weight loss as a teenager. I do this as a reminder to myself about how tough it was and is to lose and keep weight off.

When I mention this to my clients they look at me in disbelief and I’m sure some of them thought that I was trying to pull a fast one on them. The more I speak, though, the more they realize that I was indeed severely overweight.

I’ve had other clients who have said that I have inspired them start running because they can sense the passion I have when I speak about it. While I find this flattering, it’s also a little overwhelming at times. I may provide my clients with the tools to help them achieve their goals, but the real hard work begins and ends with them.

While I was running this morning I great song came on my MP3 and I want to share some of the lyrics with you. It’s a song called “Unwritten” by Natasha Bedingfield:

“ Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your innovations
Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten!”


While this song was playing I thought about the chapters left to be written in my own book.
What chapters in YOUR book have yet to be written? So much of what we do is in our control and yet we tend to let outside distractions deter us from our ultimate goals. I say do whatever you need to do to protect your goals and guard them like a knight would guard his castle.

No comments: