Friday, August 17, 2007

Being nervous is a good thing for me

I've done over 30 races in the past two years but during the days leading up to a race I get extremely nervous. You'd think that I would be used to it by now but that’s not the case. My emotions range from nervousness, doubt and fear to finally confidence.

I wonder if I’ve taken on too much and even though I consider myself a strong runner, I sometimes wonder if I still belong in this exclusive “club.” Rather than use this as an excuse to quit however, I use these feelings to motivate me.

I have NEVER quit a race and the confidence and experience I have built over these last 2 years will replace my nervousness, doubt and fear that I feel prior to the race.

One of the worst races I ever had was a 10K race in Guelph and the reason why it was tough was that I didn’t respect the distance as much as I should have. Even though I had just completed a few 25K trail races my lack of respect for that race made it very difficult. I learned that day to never take any distance for granted ever again. I was not mentally prepared to run that race and I realized how important that was. Now, I spend as much time getting mentally prepared for races as I would physically. If I’m not mentally prepared then the race will knock me on my butt.


However, rather than use fear as a way to motivate me, I use respect instead. Today I’ll use mental imagery to run the race in my head. I’ll visualize how I’ll have to keep lifting my legs up high to avoid tree stumps. I’ll visualize climbing rocks to get to the top of the hills and how I’ll have to pace myself properly. I’ll also visualize how great it will be to run across the finish line and receive my medal (or in this case a commemorative rock)


Tomorrow’s race will be a grueling 32K and it will take every ounce of spirit and determination to complete it. It won’t be easy, trail races never are, so I’m mentally and physically prepared for the race.

Wish me luck!

No comments: