Wednesday, August 08, 2007

I WILL embrace my taper week!

With my next race only 11 days away, I will begin to "taper" between now and the start of the race. What that means is that my mileage will be cut in half (100KM to 50KM) and the amount of day s running will also be reduced. I just finished my last long back to back runs (19K trail and 21K road) and though I usually hate the thought of not running, my body is beginning to feel the effects of the mileage and it is literally screaming at me to stop running for a little bit.

One week from now I'll be starting the first of three consecutive days off from running so I'll be mentally and physically prepared for my race.

It was great having company to run with today and we were able to discover a new route which made it fun. We both are doing this race next weekend so we were able to talk about our strategy for the race. This is one of the few races that I can remember where I have no idea how I'm going to do. I'm not setting a goal for myself but will use this race as a tune up for the 50K in September. We both have agreed to run our own race which means that if one of us wants to push it more than the other one, we aren't going to stand in the way of that.

During my taper period, where all I'll be doing is thinking abouth the race, I'll probably start putting some type of strategy together but right now all I can think about is getting some much needed rest.

No comments: