Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Savoring every last step today

I tried to stretch this mornings run as long as possible without going out for too long since I'm tapering for my race on Saturday.
As I finished my run and stopped my Garmin I walked for a few more minutes before coming into my house. Knowing that I won't be able to run for the next few days will be tough but I understand it's the right thing to do.

During the run today I was visualizing how my race will look like. I kept thinking about how much fun it's going to be not only to be in the trails, but also seeing so many familiar faces from the trail series I was involved in last year.

Between now and Saturday morning I won't be doing anything physically active, which will be a challenge mentally. I'll keep myself busy with work and probably watch an inspirational movie or two to get me mentally ready for Saturday. Even though I'm not going to be running fast on Saturday, I still have to remember that the 32K race will most likely feel like I'm running a Marathon (42.2K) as I'll be out on the course for at least 4 hours or more. It usually takes me about 10K before I get into a rhythm but will all the expected hill climbs and water crossings, it'll be interesting to see how my body responds and how long it takes me to find a comfortable pace.

I'll begin a mini "carbo-load" plan tonight which will mean an increase in carbohydrates (potatoes, pasta, breads) and a slight decrease in protein. I'm feeling very "light on my feet" these days so I won't carohydrate load too much as I don't want to feel too heavy on Saturday.

The main thing I'll be doing though is resting. If anyone has any ideas on some good non-physical activities that I can do, please let me know. I'm open to suggestions.

No comments: