Friday, August 24, 2007

Sometimes we all need a helping hand....or foot in my case.

I just completed my last run for the week and it would not have been possible if I didn't have great company to run with. Today was one of those days when everything just wasn't "right" with me. I didn't have my usual pre-race snack (1/2 banana) so I had a slice of rye bread instead.
I needed to do a long run of at least 20K and the thought of doing it alone just didn't excite me today. I've been running most of this week alone and I guess I have been spoiled because usually I have friends to run with but our schedules didn't allow us to meet up.
Thankfully I was able to run with one friend today and that made the run not only enjoyable but also manageable. I'm not sure I would have done the 20K today on my own. It was great having someone to talk to, and I think that both of us were feeling the effects of the race we did together last weekend.

I think that my body is telling me to take a break, which is what I'm going to do for the next 2 days. With my race 2 weeks away, it's time to begin a slow taper and get myself mentally and physically ready. Today I was feeling some pain in both knees and my feet. I haven't experienced this type of soreness in my knees in quite some time so I'll have to keep an eye on this.

The air quality this morning was the worst it's been in quite some time. I'm happy that we left at 6 AM and not any later as it is going to be extremely humid today. Usually running by the lake, which we did today, gives some cool air but not today.

As much as I'm going to miss not running over the next few days, I know that it is the right thing to do. If you usually train alone and just don't feel like you can from time to time, don't hesitate to call a friend and see if they will join you. You both will feel better for doing it.

No comments: