Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A "Zen" like moment today

It happens every so often when I'm running in the trails. I never know when "it" is going to happen but I can count on "it" happening
when I need "it" the most. The "it" that I am talking about is the feeling of pure tranquility that I get when I have completed a trail run.

The first time that it happened was the very first time I went running in the trails of Greenwood Conservation Park about just over 2 years ago. A feeling came over me that is hard to explain. All I know is that I had such a clear understanding that what I had just done was something that I NEED to do as much as possible. It is that feeling that has kept me running in the trails 2 years later.

Perhaps it's the better air quality in the trails. Maybe it's the feeling of being one with nature. I think that part of what makes this so special is that I don't HAVE to identify why it happens and maybe that's the point! In life sometimes we ask too many questions instead of just accepting what the answer is. We seem to always want to figure out why something is happening to us instead of just embracing it. If I spent too much time trying to analze why I get this feeling I'd miss out on just enjoying it.

Well, whatever it is, I'm glad that I feel it because it puts me on such an emotional "high" that usually lasts for the entire day and sometimes more. When this feeling comes over me it, I protect it and will NOT let anything invade or compromise this feeling.

I find it very difficult to become angry when running in the trails. This doesn't translate as well on the roads where I have to avoid the occasional car, truck or bus from hitting me.

Today was one of those days that re-affirmed my love of trail running and it came at just the right time for me. With just one more run coming up until my race, I'll cling to this feeling until the start of the race on Saturday morning.

No comments: