Sunday, August 19, 2007

My first "doubleheader!"

After completing my 32K trail race in the morning I felt great and was ready to run about 3-5K in the evening.
On the way to the race, though, I decided that I wanted to run the 15K race (there was a 30K and a 15K). I have never done something like this before but I couldn't believe how strong I was feeling and I had literally no soreness in my legs.

When I did the 30K race the year before, I remember running into some friends who had done the 32K trail race that morning and were doing the 30K race at night. I was so amazed at how they could even think about that. They were training for a 100 Mile race so this was perfect for them. At the race last year I remember passing both of these runners and they looked so exhausted, almost like Zombies towards the end.

As I started out on my 15K race, I knew that I would hit the wall at some point and that came at about 10K in. Throughout the last 5K I did various run/walk combinations until I finished. Even after these back to back races I felt good.

It makes me feel confident that I could do a 50 Mile race soon, as that will be all about going at a nice slow pace. That's the tactic I used yesterday and it paid off beautifully for me.

I decided to just do an easy 12K run today and will take tomorrow off.

No comments: