Friday, May 25, 2007

You have to know when to hold em and know when to fold em!

The plan today was to do a 36K run at 9AM but as we felt the stifling heat, it was obvious that this would be a challenge. Luckily for me, I seem to do better in the heat so I actually didn't mind it as much but I didn't see the purpose in running 36K with the last 10 being on my own. After running alone all week I was looking forward to the company today. The route that Nancy picked was perfect as we hit the 26K mark right at the Pickering Running Room.
This was the longest run since my marathon in May and even though I felt good physically I didn't see the reason for running an additional 10K on my own. It wasn't easy, though, as I a part of me felt like I should do what I was supposed to do today. However, I ran a total of 71K's this week so an extra 10 isn't going to make or break my training for the 50K. In fact, I'm taking such a relaxed attitude towards this race that I feel like I can run it now.
The way the 50K race is set up, water/food stations every 5K, it's like a "mini-run" within a race. The 5K should take anywhere from 27-30 minutes at a nice steady pace which is what my goal is for this race. After last year's difficult finish, more on that another time, I'm calling this race "unfinished business."

Thanks Nancy and Kelly for sticking it out today, you two are amazing runners!

No comments: