Thursday, May 03, 2007

The final countdown.....

I can now count the number of runs I have left on one hand and even though I love running, it will be nice to give my body a rest next week.
Instead of my usual fartlek run today (run a fast pace for 1 minutes, slow pace for 3) I decided to just do a 10K run at an easy pace. It was another great day and run and I now feel ready for the marathon.
I think that I will focus my attention now on my diet.
Next week I will be carb loading which is done about 3 days before the marathon. The purpose is to build up my energy bank (glycogen) so that on race day I will have enough energy to carry me through the race. This requires some precise calculations based on my body weight. I usually try to take in approximately 600 grams of carbohydrates each day starting on Thursday of next week. This is the equivalent of 10 bagels!

While most people find this appealing, it is actually harder than you think. The other thing that I will have to do is eat mostly "white" based carbohydrates (white bagels, pasta, potatoes) so that I can eat the required amount of carbohydrates.
Next week when I start my plan, I will detail what 600 grams of carbohydrates look like.

No comments: