Friday, May 04, 2007

Feeling satisfied!

After getting over my "mini-slump" from last week I am energized and ready to tackle the beast also known as the Marathon.
I did the smart thing today and took the day off from running, even though the weather is amazing, and rode my stationary bike for 1 hour instead.
It's funny how I used to feel so good about doing that kind of exercise, but since I started running, nothing satisfies me like a good run. I'd rather run for even 8K than do any other type of cardio workout.
I visited one of my best friends today and she gave me a few mementos from the Boston Marathon. One of them I'm displaying proudly in my office at home. It's a poster with different inspirational phrases about the Boston Marathon.
Some of my favorites are, "Resume says, I'm Goal Oriented", "Real superheroes wear shiny metal capes" and "The road is my therapist."
I feel so good right now that it's a shame that the marathon is still a week away. I'm going to bottle up this enthusiasm, though, and save it for race day.
Tomorrow a group of us will be running a 16K "time trial." I've done about 6 of these in my training and it's a great way to learn how to keep a pace for a certain length of time. The goal is to complete the 16K in exactly 1:20 or a 5 minute pace per kilometre. This will actually be slower than what I will be attempting to run at the Mississauga Marathon but the goal is not to run faster than that. I don't think I've quite mastered this technique yet so I'm looking forward to the run tomorrow at 7:30 AM. Who else but a bunch of dedicated runners would want to get up early on a Saturday?????
It's going to be a great weekend, so get off the couch and do something physically active, preferably outside!

No comments: