Saturday, May 05, 2007

What an amazing day!

A group of dedicated runners did our 16K time trial today (1K warm up, 14K time trial, 1K cool down) at 7:30 this morning. We went down to the Ajax waterfront and it seemed like such a long time since I had run there that I had forgotten how truly beautiful that area is to run in. The weather was great, although a little cold to start, but otherwise no problems. There were so many people out today on their bicycles, running, rollerblading or walking along the waterfront trail.

I felt so fast today, so I guess taking the day off yesterday helped. I had to actually slow myself down a few times (thanks Ken). We ran for 10 minutes and walked for 30 seconds. This is the plan that I will use at my Marathon. There are water stations approximately every 2K so I will run to them, drink water, gatorade or take my gel for 30 seconds and then start running again. It should take me no more than 10 minutes to get to each station, so this plan should work well for me.
After completing my run today, it was off to the 2nd leg of my exercise adventure. I met up with another of my good friends for a bike ride. I hadn't biked in such a long time and we ended up doing about 25K all around Ajax and actually made it down to the waterfront again.

It was great not only exercising with her but also getting caught up on some news. The friends that I have made from running, especially a group of 3 women I call my "running heir om" are people that I can lean on for guidance at a moments notice and I'm lucky to have so many of them.

Since she injured herself about 8 months ago, we haven't been able to run as much as we have in the past but she is slowly getting better so I'm hoping that we can resume our runs together soon.
Tomorrow we will be meeting up at the Pickering Running Room for a nice and easy 8-10K run. It will be more of a social thing for me as I haven't had a chance to run with many of my friends since my training started in January.
After spending the better part of 3 hours either biking or running, I then took my youngest son to see Spider man III. We had a blast at the movie and it was was the finishing touch on a truly great day.

No comments: