Saturday, May 19, 2007

The boy inside the man

It was a great day to be outside so I hope that most of you were able to take advantage of the nice weather and do something physically active. Since I started running, about 2 years ago now, I find it very hard to workout "inside."

I often talk to my clients about trying to do something physically active at least 1 hour everyday. This doesn't have to be working out at the gym. In fact, I think I've convinced several of my clients to take up power walking, running and even dancing as a way to relieve stress and burn calories at the same time.
I decided to take my kids for a walk in the nature trails today and I think I had more fun watching them than they had on the trails. It's amazing how nice it is to see some of what I do rub off on them as my youngest kept asking me about my running. At one point I was giving him some pointers on how to run more effectively in the trails. I'm sure much of what I told him went right over his head but it was still fun talking to him about it.
As someone who was overweight at their age, it's nice to see them becoming more and more physically active.

Many of my clients have asked me about how to deal with their children who are overweight. The advice I give them is to start to change their own lifestyle eating and exercise habits, and their children will eventually follow their lead. Try to include them in group activities such as walks or bike rides. Educate them any chance you get on the importance of healthy eating. One of my favorite things to do is to take my children grocery shopping with me. Yes, I know it can be a challenge at times as they seem to want every type of food that isn't healthy. However, I find this the perfect time to try and do some education with them.

I think it's important not to talk about moderation with children as they are constantly bombarded with choices from their peers and especially television.

By providing them with a healthy role model, though, you are providing something to them that will last them a lifetime, the gift of good health.

No comments: