Monday, September 17, 2007

THIS is why goals are important

I've noticed that since my race last weekend, I've been in a bit of a "funk" with regards to my running. I also noticed that my focus isn't what it was. Usually I have one race set up right after another to avoid the exact feelings I'm going through now.
My body is still recovering, I think, from the pounding it took on the trails. It could also be that mentally I'm not recovered yet as well. In any case, I know that I work better when I have a goal to work towards.

Most of my friends are running in either the Toronto or Scotiabank full marathon. The thought of running for speed doesn't interest me right now and I don't know if I can run the type of race that I'd want to run because my main focus has been on increasing my endurance not my speed.

Even though Haliburton beat me up physically, I found that I could relax more in the trails and not have to worry about finishing the race in a certain time. When I finished the race, I had no trouble with cramping, unlike what I've experienced when I've run on the roads (Mississauga Marathon and Around the Bay).

There is one race that I've done since I started running in 2005 and that is Vulture Bait in London. It's part of the Ontario Ultra Series and it's the last race of the season. I've run the 25K race there the last 2 years and last year I was able to do better than the previous one. I've decided to return to my "roots" and this time I'll do the 50K race there. This will be the first time that I'll be doing the longest distance possible at a race as they have a 10K, 25K and 50K option. Unlike Haliburton or the Iroqouis Trail Test, this race doesn't feature too many difficulties and I should be able to run more than I was able to at Haliburton.

Now that I have my goal in place, I'm sure my focus will return. Next stop Vulture Bait 50K, October 13th!

No comments: