Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Just what the Dr. ordered!

Ever since Haliburton I noticed that I seem to be in a "fog" both mentally and physically. Even though I ran three times last week I felt like I did it because I had to not because I wanted to. I took the last three days off from running and actually lifted weights yesterday for the first time in over 7 months.

This morning I met two friends at 6:30 AM for a run in the Rouge Valley. This was my first attempt at running in the trails since Haliburton. I actually had a hard time sleeping on Monday as I kept thinking about the run. The two runners I went with are much faster than I am and my only thought was to try and keep up.

As soon as I hit the trails though, everything seemed to come together and I felt so amazing. Those three days off were so important mentally for me because after the run today I felt like I had captured lightning in a bottle. It wasn't that I was able to run fast but rather it was that I seemed to have more energy and my mind was able to relax more.

I was worried that I had lost my mental focus, which is something that I take great pride in having. I know that I will recover from my physical pain but I never want to let my mental game slip. Now I can't wait to go for another run tomorrow morning and that's the feeling I wanted to get from today's run.

I've talked to some of my friends who ran the 100 Miler in Haliburton and they are still recovering from their injuries. Having done less than a third of what they did, I feel fortunate that I'm running at all right now.

Thanks Ken and Steve!

No comments: