Wednesday, September 19, 2007

One good run deserves another.....

I was able to run 12 KM's today at a nice pace and I seem to have built off the momentum of yesterday's trail run.

During the trail run yesterday, I asked one of my friends what he thought about training for speed vs endurance. During last winter I trained exclusively for speed with the hopes of achieving a Personal Best time at the Mississauga Marathon. The training involved doing lots of speed work, running on the track, hill repeats and tempo runs.

In preparation for my 50K trail race, however, I did more endurance training. This consisted of doing back to back long runs at a much slower speed. I didn't do any speed work during this phase.

The speed training was something that I am most proud of as I really pushed myself to limits which I didn't think were possible. Although it didn't translate into what I wanted at my Marathon, I'd like to do that again. In fact, my plan is to train hard during the winter months in preparation for the spring Marathon (Mississauga or Ottawa) and then concentrate on trail running for the rest of the year.

Having this type of plan makes it easier for me as I know what my goals are each year. After doing the 50K Vulture Bait race in October, I'll take some time off and start planning my marathon training for the winter months.

No comments: