Monday, September 03, 2007

Legs still work.....thank goodness!

After taking the weekend off from running, I went out cautiously for a run today. My right knee is still a little sore and I am still feeling the effects of my plantar fasciitis, but I managed to run 12KM's just the same.

The pace was faster than I thought it was going to be, but I have resigned myself to the fact that when I run alone, with nothing but my music to listen to, I tend to go faster. With all the emphasis I've been placing on reducing speed in favor of increasing endurance, I'm always pleasantly surprised to see that I haven't lost any of the speed I worked so hard to improve on, during my marathon training last Winter/Spring.

With just one more run left this week, I'm already starting to get my "game face" on. This week I'm going to do whatever I need to do to get as mentally focused for this race as possible.

Rather than hitting the trails tomorrow morning, I've decided to run from my house so I can see my oldest son off to school tomorrow. I'll run another 12K but try to slow the pace down a little. After that run, my legs will be given 3 days off from running. I will probably do some light biking or elipitcal work, on Wednesday but that will be it.

On Friday afternoon my friend and I will be taking our "road trip" to Haliburton and then will get up early the next morning for our 6 AM race. The last time I did a race where I had to stay overnight at a hotel, was last year in Owen Sound. It's a different experience when you stay in a different place the night before. Sometimes it can throw your timing off and since I'm such a creature of habit, it's something that I will have to guard against.

No comments: