Thursday, May 08, 2008

What was I thinking?

I haven't been gettin much sleep these past few days but rather than use that as an excuse I instead tried to relate my 5 AM run to how I'll feel at my 100 mile race. I don't know what state I'll be in on that day but tired will surely be one of them.
When I went downstairs to check my computer I saw that there was a strong NE wind with gusts up to 35 KM/Hr. For a brief second I almost talked myself out of going for a run. Running in windy conditions has got to be my least favorite thing to do and with little sleep (less than 4 hours) it would have been easy for me to just crawl back into my warm bed. I know that had I done that I would have regretted it all day. I won't be able to run on the weekend so had I not run, that would have been a long stretch of time off between runs. I'm sure my body would have appreciated it but I know my mind would not have.

I then got mad at myself for thinking about not running and that motivated me to run even more. When I got outside after psyching myself up, I soon blocked out the fact that it was a pretty windy day. I decided to run for 8 miles instead of my usual 10 and once again it was the right decision. My shoes have barely any support left and it felt like I was running on pavement for most of my run. I'll have to get yet another pair of shoes. I seem to be going through at least one pair of shoes every two months now.

I can't believe what a difference it makes to carry water in my hands instead of around my waist. I don't feel restricted by the belt. I've noticed that my left shoulder is a little sore but I'm not sure what this is from. I try to alternate the bottle from left to right hand so that one arm doesn't get more weighted down than the other.

My race is just over 2 weeks away so it will be time for another taper and carbo-load plan. I'm going to mimick the diet I used in preparation for my 50 Miler although I'm not sure about doing another detox. I'm going to think about it on the weekend and decide on Monday.

No comments: