Tuesday, May 13, 2008

All about the trails

Sometimes it's hard getting up so early in the morning to go trail running (4:30 AM) but then again, I see and do things that make it all worth while.

I ran in the rouge today and it was the first time running trails in a few weeks. The last time I ran there I saw one deer pretty close to me. Today I saw two! I also did a water crossing, which I love, and all this before 7:00 AM. Seeing the sun rise in the trails is just another amazing sight to see. When I run my 100 miler in less than a two weeks, I will be counting down the minutes until the sun comes up because I'll be running in darkness for at least 8 hours of the race.

I really feel at home running in the trails and it's so much less impact on my knees that I feel like I could run forever. I'll probably buy my new trail shoes this week and have them ready for my race just in case. I have to start planning on what I want to put in my drop bag. I'll have two of these and I'll make sure they are stocked with things like fuel, bandaids, duct tape for my shoes, bug spray, extra socks, shirts and shorts and warm running gear for the night.

This weekend I'll be running in the trails where I'll be doing my race so that will give me a good idea on the terrain. I did the race two years ago so once I start running in them I'm sure it will bring back good memories. I'll be able to judge where my walk breaks will take place. I want to try and be as consistent as possible with regards to pacing for this race.

No comments: