Saturday, May 17, 2008

Double duty today

It has been so long since I was able to run in the trails with a group of people so I jumped at the opportunity this morning. This, despite not getting very much sleep last night.

I was very fortunate enough to see an amazing group of dancers last night (Alvin Ailey). To watch these atheletes perform really got me thinking about how graceful and effortless they are. To get to that level they obviously made a committment very earl in their life to become the best they could be as a professional dancer. It also made me appreciate my running even more. In fact, I was so jacked up after watching that performance that I seriously thought about going for a run when I got home. It was that exhilirating.

So, on about 4 hours sleep, I did a nice easy 10K trail run. I made sure to run at a very slow pace and it was nice to talk with people who I hadn't seen in a long time.

After the run I still had so much energy so I asked my friend if she wanted to lift weights with me at my gym. Thankfully she said yes. After a quick change of clothes we went off to the gym to do some circuit training. I always feel better when I incorporate some weight training into my schedule but finding the time to do it becomes a challenge. It felt great to use some machines which I haven't used in a long time since I've been training at home with my weights.

As I write this, my lack of sleep is finally starting to catch up with me and I'm sure I'll take an afternoon nap at some point today. Tomorrow I'm travelling to Ancaster which is the site of my race next weekend.

No comments: