Wednesday, May 07, 2008

What do I think about when I'm running?

I was talking with a client last night and shared with her the story of how I got into running and also about my recent 50 Mile race. She was a competitive swimmer and also did some running as well. When I told her that I was out on the course for close to 11 hours, she asked me what I was thinking about during that time. I had to think for a minute because when she asked me that it finally hit home that I had been out there for that long. Even though the race was over 3 weeks ago, the way she framed that question really got me thinking about what I had accomplished.

I don't think I've done anything, not even sleep, for close to 11 consecutive hours so that put things in perspective. I told her that when I run I often think about my kids, past relationships, my fiance who died as well as silly things like what I want to eat after the race or how many calories I've burned. Sometimes I'll just get lost in the music I'm listening to and start singing out loudly while I'm running. Thankfully I can't hear myself sing or I'm sure I'd stop pretty quickly.

I've been trying to concentrate more on my running form and so I'll visualize the heal/toe strike technique. I also have a quick turnover which means that my strides are short and choppy and I try to lessen the impact of my feet hitting the ground by running this way.

Lately my thoughts have turned to my 100 mile race in a few weeks. As with the 50 miler which I recently completed, I have no expectations of myself other than I want to finish. I have 30 hours to complete this race and it may very well take me all of that to do so. I cannot entertain the thought of me not finishing so I'm trying to stay as positive as possible.

During my 10 mile run today I thought about the race and the many challenges that it presents. I not only have to run for 100 miles I have to stay awake for an entire day so fatigue will play a big part in the race. There really is no way to prepare for this because I'll just have to see how the day unfolds. I'm working on having a crew of people who will be there to support me and that is crucial when attempting this type of race. If anyone is interested in lending a helping "foot" please contact me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We have recently launched a {myfitnessequipment | mysportnutrition } choose one which is most appropriate blog/site and we are looking
to spread the word and get in contact with similar websites to ours to
promote relevant blogs and websites.

Please email me at chriss714@gmail.com

Thanks
Chris