Thursday, May 15, 2008

Setting things up for the weekend

I had a great run on Wednesday morning and took today off completely. With my race coming up it's more important than ever to get as much rest as possible between now and next weekend.

This weekend I'll be doing a run in the Rouge on Saturday and then travelling to Sulphur Springs where my race is. I'll be running with my partner there so we can gauge what our pace should be. This will be the last opportuntiy prior to the race to finalize our strategy.

Last night at my son's baseball game it got so cold and it really hit home at what kind of temperature changes I'll have to endure at the race next weekend. Going from a warm to a cold temperature is going to put pressure on my body to keep itself warm and that really is my biggest fear. I'm going to pack lots of winter gear so that I'll be prepared for sudden drops in temperature.

Last year, at this race, it started to rain towards the end which provided even more challenges to the runners. My friends have told me courageous stories of how injured runners were able to block out their pain to finish the 100 miler which is considered by many to be the holy grail of ultra-marathons.

Next week I'll really start to mentally focus on the race and this is why Sunday's run is so important. I want to be able to have lots of visuals at different check points along the race so that I'll be familiar with the terrain.

No comments: