Monday, May 19, 2008

Momentum

My idea of momentum is not looking backward but constantly moving forwards. If you are not moving forward then you are living in a world of constant second guesses. When I use momentum with regards to my running it means not allowing myself to stop. This doesn't mean that I won't take a walk break when I need to, but avoiding stops is something that I'll be very conscious of next weekend.

We all have made mistakes in our past and we'll continue to make more in the future. When I refer to myself as trying to be a Peaceful Warrior, that doesn't mean that I'm a Perfect Peaceful Warrior.

Today's run was very difficult as I was dealing with wind gusts of 30 KM/Hr. My hands were so numb that I couldn't feel the tips of them for most of the run. Trying to remain focused on just the running and not on how badly I wanted to get home was difficult to say the least. Living in the moment doesn't mean you are going to enjoy every moment but I do know that these runs continue to make me stronger so I persevere.

As this is yet another race week for me, I'll be once again doing another carbohydrate loading program beginning on Wednesday. The 100 mile race brings so many more challenges to it with regards to nutrition. Gels, which normally work fine for marathons, simply won't get the job done. Instead I'll be "dining" on things like peanut butter and jam sandwiches, boost, flat coke, boiled potatoes and salt, chips, pretzels, chocolate covered coffee beans and anything else that my stomach will tolerate.

No comments: