Monday, May 05, 2008

Staying motivated vs getting motivated, two different things

I take pride in the fact that I feel that I do a good job of keeping someone motivated. It's something that I've learned while working at various jobs that I've had as a counselor. Whether it was working with troubled teens or those with addictions, I always seemed to have a knack for staying positive. I really feel that this has an effect on the people who I deal with.

I know that I also feed off the energy of people and I'm lucky to have some amazing clients who never cease to inspire me. At the same time, there are others who I like to call "energy vampires" because they can literally suck the life out of you if you let them. These are the people who fail to take responsibility for anything that they do and instead would rather place blame on others. They also are very likely to be indecisive about their goals and rarely will put in the time and effort needed to achieve their goals. Unfortunately for these people, until they get themselves motivated, there really isn't much I can do to help. You have to make exercise and healthy eating a priority in your life or you will never achieve your fitness goals. I can provide a great roadmap for what is needed but they are the drivers of their own car and there are no shortcuts to success.

We all have the capacity to dream but very few of us turn those dreams into reality. The ones who do, are rewarded from within and not so much by material things. They also are the ones who are quick to jump from one goal to another instead of taking too long to admire what they just accomplished.

Are you willing to put in the time and effort needed? Only you can answer that question. I hope the answer is YES!

No comments: