Friday, May 30, 2008

Peace of mind

As luck would have it, I had a long break between clients today so I decided to go for my first run since my race.

As I headed out, the first song on my mp3 was "Peace of Mind" by Boston. I thought that this was appropriate and I had a small grin on my face as I headed out. Most people know that I love to run in the rain and so of course it started to rain as I began my run.

Those first few steps were pure agony. My right shin was so sore and the thought of even doing a KM seemed out of my reach. I knew, though, if I could get through the first few KM's, eventually the pain would go away. My mind likes to play games with me and it was almost as if I was being punished for taking so many days off from running. I viewed this as a test and kept going.

Luckily, my baby toe was fine and I honestly thought I'd have more trouble with that than anything. The sharp pain that I felt in my shin was now starting to throb a little but I kept thinking about just living in the moment.

It wasn't until I was about 30 minutes into the run that the pain let up and I started to feel better. It's such a fine line between being "hurt" and "injured" and I try my best to work through any pain I'm having as I know it's temporary.

The last mile of my run was the best part as a song came on called "Lightning Strikes." One of my favorite parts of the song is when the singer belts out, "I can feel it coming back again, like a rolling thunder chasing the wind." That really summed up the last part of my run as I could feel myself getting stronger and stronger. I made the right decision not to run too long today as my main focus was just getting myself recovered from last week.

I'll see how the rest of the weekend progresses, but so far so good!

No comments: