Monday, May 12, 2008

A weekend to reflect

On Saturday I was able to get out and do an 8 mile run and then Sunday I lifted weights for about an hour. The majority of my other time was spent with my kids mostly outside which was amazing.

What fascinates me most about kids is their endless energy. They can just go and go and go some more. Their gas tank is always on full and they get mad when you tell them it's time to stop. When I watch children run they seem so effortless. It's not mechanical it's very natural. I learned quite a bit this weekend watching them.

I took my youngest son for a nature walk as he searched for bugs and he told me how he wanted to run in trail races like I did. I could barely keep from smiling. He then asked me if he could run in a race with me sometime (keep in mind he's 6 years old). I told him of course he could.

As I was running on Saturday, I thought more and more about my 100 mile race. I know that this will be the hardest thing that I've ever attempted in my life. I seem to be at peace with myself lately and rather than be stressed about it, I prefer to just accept whatever will be. I've never been more relaxed than I am now and that has had an effect on my running. I'm starting to avoid looking at my watch more and more but whenever I do, I'm surprised that I'm running faster than I thought.

This past weekend was the Mississauga Marathon. I've done that race twice before. The first time was my first Marathon so my goal was just to finish. The 2nd time was last year and I had been training all winter with the goal of trying to come as close to 3:30 as possible. The races leading up to this one were great and I broke several person records along the way. Everything was lined up perfectly for me and then I suffered from cramps during the race. This prevented me from achieving my goal but I still finished the race.

As I prepare for my 100 mile race, one thing keeps popping into my head and that is how I have never quit any race that I've signed up for. with the 100 miler, there are so many variables that not finishing becomes a distinct possibility. I'm not afraid to fail and I'll use that as motivation instead of a weapon against me. We will see how this all plays out in a few weeks.

No comments: