Saturday, June 30, 2007

Trying to change people's eating habits one meal at a time!

Yesterday I saw a very good movie called Evan Almighty. The message in that movie was about trying to change the world by doing an act of random kindness one day at a time.

Today I did a nutrition talk at the Pickering Running Room in front of a small group of people who were enrolled in the walking clinic. During my run this morning I thought about how I was going to present my "philosophy" to them.

When I do my talks, I like to gather the group into a small circle so we can have an open discussion instead of just me lecturing. I find that the group learns better this way. Since today's group was small, this was easily accomplished. I was able to explain the importance of making small changes to their current lifestyles which will last them a lifetime. For some it may mean just increasing the amount of times they eat or having breakfast on a regular basis. It's amazing how these little changes can make a big difference.

It's always nice to speak to people who already have made the committment to exercise and whenever I have the opportunity to talk to the runners/walkers at the Running Room I'll volunteer my services. The Running Room has helped me accomplish many of my goals and I've been able to build great friendships with the employees there. I've often recommended to my clients at the gym, who are looking at doing something other than weights, to visit the Pickering Running Room and enroll in either a walking or running clinic.

Tomorrow I'm looking forward to running with some truly amazing friends and we'll be able to get caught up in each others' lives. This week has been one of my best running weeks and I think it has much to do with my relaxed attitude. With no races in immediate sight right now, I can just enjoy my running more.

No comments: