Thursday, June 07, 2007

My life before I started running

During my 20K run today, one of my friends asked me why I run so much. She knew, though, that the answer was that I run because I love it so much.

I started to think about how much my life has changed since I started running.
My life consisted of working at a job which I hated and which was very isolating and negative in nature. I was working with recovering alcohol, drug and gambling addicts. While I saw some people have success, the majority of the time I would see the same people come back time and time again. To say that this was depressing would be an understatement. Not only was the nature of my job depressing, I worked a 24 hour shift. This gave me plenty of time off in between shifts. The problem was that I had no social life and would often just sit around the house and play video games and wait for the kids to come home.

This pattern led to feelings of apathy and while I did workout at the gym every morning at 5AM, I realized that I didn't have any friends as most people worked a traditional 9-5 shift. I isolated myself and this pattern repeated itself for years. Most of the time I didn't think I was "worthy" of having any friends. I was in a "comfort zone" and even though it wasn't a good one, it was something that I was familiar with.

When I look back at this cycle of behaviour, it is easy to see why I was so unhappy. I also can't blame anyone else but myself for this but I try to look back at that time and use it as a learning tool.

Running literally changed and saved my life. Do I put too much emphasis on it for my new life that I have created? Well consider this. Since I started running I have amazing friends, I don't play video games anymore and I'm doing something that I love to do (sports nutrition). I have completed 3 Marathons and over 20+ other races and I have more drive and determination now than at any other time in my life. I also am in better shape now that any other time in my life. I've yet to meet someone who guesses my right age. Most are off by at least 5-7 years which obviously makes me feel good.

I'm also happier and seem to have a positive "glow" about me most of the time (especially when I'm running). I've also been able to show my kids the importance of a healthy lifestyle (they aren't allowed to play video games at my house).

No, my life isn't perfect, far from it actually, BUT I can honestly say that I wouldn't be the person I am now if it weren't for running. If you are lucky enough to find that special "something" that changes your life forever, then grab a hold of it and enjoy the ride!

No comments: