Thursday, June 28, 2007

Do "heatlhy" addictions exist?

Exercise, even though it is a positive activity, can also been as a negative if it starts to interfere or create an imbalance in someones life. I found this particular part of an article very interesting so I thought I would share it with you.

"Positive addiction is that state of mind that allows a person to pursue a seemingly boring activity until it is no longer boring. All aerobic sports are based on that concept. Explanations of the mechanism involved include addiction to the fabled endorphin- induced "runner's high," addiction to increased self-esteem due to the myriad physical and psychological advantages running provides, and tapping into an individuals natural obsessive-compulsive nature. Long-distance running has, for some, served as a positive addiction replacing a recently-shucked negative addiction such as cigarette smoking and alcoholism. For long-distance runners, the sport and lifestyle often complement other aspects of their lives. For the exercise-addicted, the sport and lifestyle of long-distance running are their life"(1)

I think this is a dilemma that I deal with on a regular basis myself. Trying to remain "balanced" is something that I spend a great amount of time talking with my clients about. One particular client who I met with recently, exhibits these classic signs and at times he reminds me of myself when I was his age. Some of my clients exercise everyday for hours and hours and what I try to get them to understand is that you want to find something that you can do not only in the short term to reach your goals, (weight loss for example) but also throughout your life. Is it realistic to work out everyday for 2 hours for the rest of your life? I think there is a small segment of the population that has the time for this but for the majority of us this becomes a challenge.

Personally speaking, I know how much running means to me both physically and emotionally so I need to ensure that I remain healthy enough to continue doing what I love. It also means that I need to start looking at other sports which, even though may not satisfy all the things that I get from running, will give me the physical benefit that I need. I used to love to play tennis and I'm going to start playing next week.

With regards to my clients, what I worry most about is settting too high expectations and then when these expectations are not met, a free-fall takes place. In the case of exercise, I've seen some clients work out religiously day after day without taking a break. Then "life" gets in the way and they cannot workout for a period of time. They feel guilty for not working out and then they begin to choose unhealthy foods to deal with their depression. Luckily, many of my clients bounce back, but there are others who I haven't seen in months and who I know are too afraid to start over again because they see themselves as "failures." These same people would have benefited more by starting out slowly and finding their balance.

So, do YOU thik that you are an exercise addict? Take the test and find out:

"An addiction self-test
Where addiction to running stands in your life

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the strongest, weight each of the following statements as they apply to you and your running. Then total your numbers and check the interpretations at the end of the test. Fill out the test in pencil, or make photocopies so you can retake it periodically.

___Running is extremely important to me. I'm positive I'll be running for the rest of my life.
___A day without a run is a day without sunshine.
___If it becomes downright impossible to get my workout in today, I can always double up tomorrow.
___Until I get my workout in, I'm a real bear as in unbearable.
___A little pain indicates there's serious progress being made.
___If two aspirin/ibuprofen are good, four are twice as good.
___Warm-up and cool-down are important, but it's what comes in the middle of a workout that counts.
___As far as running goes, more is always better.
___A string of running days must remain unbroken.
___Quality without quantity is impossible.
___Of course I know how many miles I ran last month_
___Unless you've run a marathon, you're not a real runner.
___The more marathons you've run, the more serious a runner you are.
___Rest is for the weary, not for the strong.
___Discomfort exists to run through, not to be an insurmountable barrier.
___All my friends are runners, and I wouldn't consider befriending a nonrunner.
___Many running-related pains can be gotten rid of by running through them.
___If a shirt doesn't boast a race logo, it isn't one I want to wear.
___It exhibits their inbred weakness if people don't want to hear my step-by-step re-creations of races I've run.
___If I have a piddling injury and a sports medicine expert says I shouldn't run, it's obviously time for a second (or third) opinion.
Where does your total fall?

161-200: Running addiction personified. Get help quickly.
121-160: Leaning toward running addiction; beware.
81-120: Neutral.
41-80: Fitness with a mellow bent.
20-40: Approaching terminal mellow; better sign up for a race."
(2)
________________________________________________________________

1. Richard Benyo, Exercise Addiction, when more is less, Runners Club of America
2. Richard Benyo, Exercise Addiction, when more is less, Runners Club of America

No comments: