Tuesday, June 05, 2007

The importance of variety

As I lay in my bed before heading out to do my run this morning, I had the motivation to run but I didn't want to run the same route as I usually do. This hesitation bothered me somewhat and I wondered if I should actually go out at all? A small part of me was thinking that maybe this was a sign that I needed to rest today. I know that if I did, though, I'd be regretting it all day.

I have about 4 different routes that I can take from my house and that are anywhere from 8-15K in length. The problem is, I've done these routes so much that sometimes they become boring. Today I decided to try something new and did some running on side streets that I normally don't run on. For someone with as bad a sense of direction as I have, I was taking a little bit of a risk but I ventured out anyway. When I finished my run I realized that I did 12K in just over 1 hour. It was nice to know that I found a new route that covers 12K. I'm sure I will start looking for a few more so I can keep my running routes from getting too boring.

During my run today I was thinking back to the training I did for my marathon. I liked the fact that every run was a little different. There were days where I would just run hills and others where I would run on the track. I also did plenty of speed or "tempo" runs. I'm looking forward to returning to this type of training sometime in July as I prepare for a fall Marathon. The 50K run in a few weeks is more about endurance than speed so I'm not focusing on doing too much speed work right now. When I think about the 50K it scares me a little because I remember how I felt last year and also how I felt during and after my marathon this May. I'm sure I will be fighting those demons between now and the start of the race. I've decided to just let the day come and decide my strategy when it gets here. I'm sure I will discuss it during the drive up to Niagara Falls with my friends.

When I talk to my clients about their eating, I stress the importance of adding variety to their meal plans. If you eat the same foods over and over it becomes a challenge for some. There are some clients, though, who don't mind eating the same foods as it takes the pressure off of them in terms of meal preparations. It all depends on what your comfort level is. I have found that the more structured you make your eating the better results you will get. I give my clients about 3-4 options for each meal and this seems to help keep them on the right path. What I then focus on is trying to make these 3-4 meal options as appealing as possible.
Whether you are training for a race or trying to lose weight, remember to keep things interesting by adding variety to whatever plan you are on. You will be thankful you did.

No comments: