Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Track work......I think I love it!

After taking a day off from running on Monday, I got up early this morning to meet Ken for our usual Tuesday morning run. Normally we do tempo work but we are starting a new program for me on the track.
It's hard to believe but I've never done any kind of track work to increase my speed. We warmed up by doing a 2.5K run to Pineridge HS and then did 5 sets of 400M repeats (1 lap around the track) with about 1.5 minutes of recovery in between.
I was very nervous because I wanted to do my best today but was worried that I might go out too fast for the early sets and have nothing left by the end. What I found very encouraging though was that I seemed to get stronger as the sets increased. I actually was able to focus more on my running technique as I raced around the track. After our run I checked out my garmin to see what pace I was doing and I was very pleased to see that my time kept pretty much the same from the first set to the fifth (all under 4:00M/K).
Since this was my first attempt at doing track work Ken didn't want to push me too hard but next week I will be doing 800M repeats (or 2 times around the track).
I can't believe how great I felt afterwards and this will be yet another piece to my training puzzle that I can upon when I run my next race.
Thanks Ken!

No comments: