Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Are we there yet?

As a parent, this is a question I get asked by my kids quite often.
However, in my case I'm referring to my Marathon.

I've been training hard since January and now the race can't get here soon enough. When people talk about the Marathon you hear plenty about how it's mostly mental and I would agree. I also think that this applies to the training as well. Even though I enjoy the training, at times it is overwhelming.

With less than 1 month to go, I know that this is the time that I will be tested emotionally and mentally. Physically, for the most part, I feel that I am ready to run the race today. Waiting until May 13th, will provide the biggest test for me though.

In addition, this weekend I will not be running in one of my favorite races, the Seaton Trail, because it conflicts with my training. I will be volunteering there, and it will be nice to see many of my friends again. There are a few trail runners who I've become close with and who always inspire me so I'm hoping that just being around them will give me the final push that I need before my race in May. If anyone can understand what I'm going through it is these trail runners. Most of them have already run the Boston Marathon years ago and now they have switched their focus to running longer distances. Many have competed in races as long as 100 miles.
I hope to someday follow in their footsteps.

Today my run was very good (14K) and I even ran past one of my best friends who is recovering from an injury. It was great to see her out running today. As the weather improves, hopefully that is, I'm sure I will see more runners out and about.

No comments: