Friday, April 13, 2007

120K in 7 days = BREAK!

Today was the last of my 7 consecutive days of running and with the total at 120K I'm taking the next few days off to rest. I'll probably do some light biking just to keep the blood flowing but nothing too strenuous.

Today's run of 32K was tougher than I thought as I think the cumulative effect of the consecutive days of running caught up to me. Thankfully the rain held up although it was pretty windy at times. I tried a new supplement called "Sharkies" for the first time during my run. These fruit chews contain electrolytes as well as some sugar and I used them in between my gels and e-load breaks. I didn't find them to be much better than e-load so I probably won't use them again. On long runs like these, it's a good time to experiment with different supplements and find the right combination before race day.

I needed to do quite a bit of stretching today after the run as my oblique muscles, hip flexors and quads were all pretty stiff. The pain that I felt reminded me of how sore I was after my marathon in December.

Next weekend I will be doing my last long run (36K) and a group of us will be running most of the route of the Mississauga Marathon. That will be a good test to see how mentaly sharp we all are.

Until Monday, though, I don't want to see my running shoes....

No comments: