Sunday, April 08, 2007

The key ingredient to doing Long Slow Runs

I just completed my 30K long slow run today. That is now three consecutive weeks of doing at least 30K (one of which was at race pace). I feel that I have built a very good base and that is so important as my Marathon is now 5 weeks from today.

The thought of doing a training run of 3hours can be somewhat intimidating but having a great group of friends to run with can make all the difference in the world. It's amazing how much we talked about during this 3 hour run. When one of us is feeling sore all it takes is a sarcastic joke or two to get that person to stop "thinking" about the pain or the run.

Today's run started at 7:30 with some of us doing 30K and others doing 20+. It was a little cold and windy for the first 17K but as soon as we made the turn back home the wind was at our backs and the sun started to slowly come out.

I ran mostly without my music until the last 8-9K when I was feeling a little sore and just had to hear some music to get me through. For me, that was all it took as I ended up leaving the pack and doing the final 8K in about 42 minutes.

As I made my way back home along Concession 3 a large Deer ran across the road about 20M in front of me. It was amazing to see this huge animal and how graceful it was. I kept watching it and at one point the animal just turned and watched me. I'm sure he was wondering why I was running on such a cold day (LOL).

We all met up at the local coffee shop but I forgot to tell my friends about the Deer that crossed my path. Maybe that will be my good luck charm during my next Marathon.

No comments: