Sunday, April 22, 2007

It's almost taper time now.....

Today was my last "long" run as a group of us die-hards left the Pickering area to run 36K in Mississauga. We covered the majority of the route that we will be running in 3 weeks. After running from Monday to Friday on my own, it was nice to have some company today. Running is so much more than just a pysical activity as I've become very close with several runners and during our 3+ hour run it's great to get caught up on each others lives. I call it "therapy on the roads." I've been dubbed, and righfully so, as being the one most likely to get lost on a run and it almost happened again today....

What truly makes our runs special, however, is the moment that the run is finished. We all congratulated each other and joked around like a bunch of school kids. What's even better is when we can get together over lunch which is what happened today. As tired and sore as we all are it's amazing how much energy we can call upon to sit outside and share a cocktail or two.....
I still have a few more tough runs left but I feel now that the marathon distance is something that mentally every runner needs to get past.

There WILL come a time in the race when pain, fatigue and mental exhaustion will come into play and it's how much we let it bother us which truly is the difference on race day.

No comments: