Monday, April 30, 2007

Being injured vs being hurt

There is a line in a football movie called "The Program" where the coach asks one of his players who is on the ground if he is hurt or injured. The player looks confused and asks for an explanation from the coach. The coach says that if you are hurt you can still play, if you are injured then you can't.
As a runner, there are parts of me that hurt on a daily basis. It's hard to not pound the pavement day after day and not feel some discomfort. Mostly, though, I've worked through these issues and have been able to stay injury free.
As my marathon approaches, I need to make sure not to do anything that may compromise this. As my running mileage decreases, it becomes more of a mental battle that I will be fighting.
Even though I've trained as hard as I ever have, there will be times when I will question myself. Have I trained hard enough? Can I complete the race in the time that I want to finish in?
I'm VERY lucky to have amazing friends who I can call upon for support during this time as they have experienced much of what I'm talking about.
I love the training that I've done for my marathon, but there are times when I wish I could just run for "fun." I know that once my marathon is over, I will be able to run with many of my friends again.

No comments: