Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Staying motivated while running.

I'm often asked how I stay or keep myself motivated while running. This is something that I'm lucky to say I have little trouble with. I'm not exactly sure why that is, but I can honestly say that I've never woken up and said that I don't feel like going for a run today (unless it's a scheduled day off of course).
I've run in all kinds of weather, from snow, rain, hail, heavy winds and even lightning storms and nothing seems to keep me from running.
I think part of why that is is that when I'm running I don't usually "think" about running. If I did I'd probably ask myself what the heck I'm doing out there in the first place. When I run, especially when I run alone, I have to have music with me. I get so into my music that many times I've gotten lost on my runs as I just want to run and not worry sometimes where I'm even going (until it's too late). The songs that I pick all have special meaning to me for different reasons. Some songs remind me of different people I've known. Some songs are motivating as they have a running theme to them and some I just like because they are fun. I spend hours setting up particular songs on my MP3 player and I think that's what helps me get through my runs.
Some of my friends even asked me if I'm singing along to the songs or talking to myself as they know that once I have my headphones on, it's very hard, if not impossible, for them to talk to me.
The one thing that I tell people who want to get into running is not to think to much about the running while they are running. I see many new runners worry to much about their running "form" or breathing that it becomes to mechanical and they forget to just enjoy the run.
If you are new to running I think the best thing to do is just go slow and eventually you will find your own running form. Running has without a doubt changed my life and I know that it has done the same for many of my friends. I hope that you get the same enjoyment from running that I've gotten from it.

No comments: