Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Embracing change can be difficult

I often talk to my clients about the changes they need to make in their life to achieve the goals that they want. Well, nobody is immune to change, including yours truly and I'm about to embark on a big one soon.

After 7 years living in the same house, it's time to say goodbye as I'm going to be moving to a smaller place with me and my boys. My thoughts have turned from fear and apprehension to excitement and then sadness.

Saying goodbye to something that has been so much a part of my life is going to be hard but in many ways it's something that I need to do for myself. I need to establish more independence and this is a big first step. I know that there will be difficult times ahead but I'm also optimistic that there will be some good things to come from this as well.

During my run today I thought about how familiar the streets are to me around my neighborhood. It will be refreshing to learn some new routes and lay down some fresh tracks in my new neighborhood.

I can either fight this change and be miserable or I can accept this change for what it is and work with it. It all starts and ends with a great attitude and that is something that I have learned from the many long races I have done. There comes a point in every race where I have to dig down deeper than ever before and have the courage and heart to continue. I am going to view this change in much the same way and I believe that that will help me.

I am really enjoying the variety of my training program. Today's run was only 4 miles and that allowed me to do some core training afterwards. Tomorrow I will be running the track at Pineridge School in Pickering as I will be doing 4X400 metre repeats.

It's amazing to me how quickly my speed is already picking up. Today was supposed to be an easy run but when I looked at my watch I realized that I was running faster than I was supposed to go.

No comments: