Sunday, May 10, 2009

Committment is a beautiful thing

I have decided to run in the Scotiabank Marathon on September 27th. Why is stating this so important to me? It's simple. Once I have a goal there is little that gets in my way to achieve it. In fact I am more motivated than ever to try to get a personal best time in that race. The best marathon time I've done is a 3:39 and that was in Jacksonville Florida in 2006. I would love to get a 3:30 or better for that race and that will require some serious training which I'm looking forward to. I also want to run at the lightest weight possible and I'm aiming for a 145 to 150 pounds which is about 15 pounds lighter than I am right now. I really believe that the extra weight lost will translate into more speed. In addition, I will be focusing on improving my core strength and doing agility training instead of weight training. I may even throw in some yoga as well.

Looking back at my previous races has really got me motivated. I was able to do a 1:40 half-marathon and a 1:13 10 miler. Both of these races are good indicators of what I can do and my hope is that I'm an even better runner now than I was when I posted those times.

Unfortunately what that means is that I'll have to cut back on my trail races somewhat. I'll likely compete but only in the smaller distances (25K). This will allow me to continue to support my trail running friends but won't burn me out as I prepare for my race in September.

My next race will come at the end of May and that is the Sulphur Springs race near Hamilton. I will most likely run the 25K trail race and then stay on to support my friends who are running the 100 mile race there.

No comments: