Saturday, May 16, 2009

Bookmark it and remember it forever!

8.12KM in 39:29 (average pace of 4 minutes and 51 seconds per KM)

These were the results from my tempo run this morning and I will remember this today as my training intensifies in the weeks and months to come. I had not done a tempo run in such a long time that I had no idea how it was going to turn out this morning. The conditions were great, for me anyway, with a cool breeze and overcast skies, I was begging for the rain to come down on me and thankfully that's just what happened.

I'm a big believer in the "bookmark" theory and today is a day I will file away and keep as a reminder of what I am capable of. Ironically enough, I was hoping to just be able to do an 8 minute mile so I exceded my goals. Bookmarking can apply to anything we do in life and should be used whenever you feel that you cannot meet a challenge head on. Whether it's eating, running or dealing with tragedy, you must remember your past successes because that will trigger your mind to deal with things more clearly. Knowing that you have overcome similiar obstacles in your life will allow you to be more positive with your choices in the future. We tend to focus on everything that we don't do right instead of remembering what we did do right.

This has been a great week for me and I feel invigorated and ready to challenge myself next weekend at my race. I know that I will remember this day when I feel tired next weekend and it will give me the strength to keep running. Tomorrow I will do a long slow run and this will give me time to reflect on the week that was and look ahead to next week. I have some goals that I want to accomplish with regards to my race next weekend but I'm keeping them under wraps for now.

No comments: