Sunday, May 10, 2009

Being alone versus being lonely


(Seaton Trail MudPuppies)

When I first started running 4 years ago, (wow that seems hard to believe) I used to call the Running Room in Pickering my "Mecca." Every Sunday morning groups of runners congregate and then run various distances. It becomes addictive and something that I would never miss. As I started to progress in my running I discovered my love for running in the trails. There's something special about them that's hard to describe but I feel more at home there than on the roads. I started running with a different group of runners who were more experienced running in the trails and they taught me everything I needed to know. They are affectionately known as the Seaton Trail MudPuppies and I am proud to call myself one of them.

When I ran trail races there were large stretches of time where I wouldn't see any runners for up to 30 minutes at a time. This hardly ever happens during a road race. I had to condition myself to use my own inner strength to motivate me rather than trying to catch up to a runner who was ahead of me. What this taught me was that I didn't NEED to run with anyone to stay motivated. Although running is an individual sport, the group aspect cannot be discounted and that is what makes places like the Running Room so appealing to most.

I has been about 2 years or more since I ran with the group from the running room but today I decided to give it a try. I ran from my house to the store which was about 5K away. When I got there I realized that I only recognized a small handful of people. In the past I knew everyone there. I ran with the 1/2 marathon group who were doing 20K. The run started off ok but I soon realized that this was not for me. At about the 1/2 way mark I made a detour, put on my mp3 player and just took off.

The run was amazing and I don't think I would have had the same experience had I continued with the group. It had nothing to do with the speed that they were going but there just was just something missing and I couldn't pinpoint what it was. As I started to run longer my thoughts became more clear and I was able to just relax and go at my own pace. I realized that I don't like running with groups of people because I do my best thinking on my own. I NEED to run on my own so I can process the week that was and think about the week that's coming.

There may be the odd run or two that I'll do with my trail running friends but when I'm on the road I prefer the sanctitiy of my own peace of mind.

No comments: