Saturday, May 30, 2009

Another great training week

Today I had another great run and it has been amazing to see how quickly I have been able to pick up the speed work even though I haven’t trained like this in a few years.

I had to run 6 miles at race pace or better today which for me means at least an 8 minute mile. I was happy with my track work on Thursday but wasn’t able to rest enough on Friday as my training plan requires so I had no idea what I was going to be able to do today.

I started off fast and was able to keep a strong pace throughout. I would check my watch periodically just to see if I was on target. There was a little bit of a wind on the way back and that affected me slightly but I fought through that and finished the run in 46:26 which works out to be ahead of where I need to be.

My goal is a 3:30 marathon time or better so I know that I have more work to do but I am happy so far with 3 weeks of training in the books. Tomorrow I will be doing a slow recovery run. I never thought I would appreciate these slow runs but after 2 really hard runs this week I know that I will.

I saw a really good movie yesterday called “UP” and I encourage everyone to go see it. Disney really does know how to pull at the heart strings and this movie was no exception. I know my son enjoyed the movie but I think I liked it even more than he did. Without giving too much away, what I liked best was the message it sent which was putting the past behind you and building a new adventure. With so many things happening in my life lately, this movie was just the ticket to remind me that it is time to start building a new adventure.

No comments: