Thursday, February 22, 2007

My Carbo loading program

OK, believe it or not but carbo loading isn't what you think it is. In a nutshell here is what I am doing for the next three days in preparation for my race on Sunday. I'm trying to eat enough carbohydrates so that by the time Sunday rolls around I will have enough stored energy (Glycogen) to carry through my race.

What that means for me is that I have to consume 9 to 10 grams per kg of body-weight which for me works out to the following:

My weight in Kg's: 70.4 X 10 grams = 700 gms/day
For every 1 gram of carbohydrate = 4 calories so from Carbohydrates alone, my total calories need to be 2800.

Throw in Protein at about 15% and Fat at another 15% and I will be eating roughly 3000 to 4000 calories over the next few days. Since this is a 1/2 Marathon I will probably consume 3/4 of the amount that I would if I were running a 30K trail race or full marathon.
Here are some of the foods that I will be eating and the amount of carbohydrates in each:
Blueberry Bagels (60 grams each)
1 Cup of White Pasta (53 grams)
1 Medium White/Red Potato (55 grams)
Cliff Bars (45 grams)
Protein Bars (40-50 grams)
Pretzels (60-70 grams per serving)
1 Cup of White Rice (48 grams)
2 pancakes (52 grams)

I don't like to experiment with too many new foods during this time and I'll eat the same foods that you see on this list for most of the next three days. I will also lower my protein intake and I'll eliminate most of the fibre as well. I do not want to risk any possible stomach problems between now and the race. Most of the foods on the above list I don't eat unless I am carbo loading and because they are "white" products I realize that nutritionally they are not the best. However, I have to take into account that I need to be able to eat lots of carbs and if I were to use more of the whole grain products (brown rice instead of white) then I would be unable to do so because the fibre in these foods would make me full.
During the next three days I will also rest and drink approximately 3-4 Ltrs. of water. I will also NOT weigh myself as the increased carbohydrates together with the decrease in physically activity will result in some weight gain. Thankfully by the time next week rolls around I'll be right back where I need to be and I realize that this is a temporary thing. For someone who has had weight issues in the past though, it can be challenging at times.

Having done this routine for quite some time and seeing the results that my client get from it, I know that it works and so I continue to do it. However, the next time someone says that they are "carbo-loading" for a race please take the time to let them know that you are sorry to hear that......

No comments: