Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Must be the shoes!

Yesterday, in keeping with my "positive attitude week" I visited my favorite running store, the Pickering Running Room. Not only was it a great time to see the staff but I also picked up a new pair of shoes. I didn't realize how bad my shoes were until I flipped them over and saw that there was little to no supports left on the sides and bottom of the shoe. I try to buy new shoes every 3 months but usually a good indicator for me is when I start to suffer from Plantar Fascitis. This basically means that my heels and the underneath of my feet become very sore especially in the morning. I've been dealing with this for a little over 2 weeks.
Today I had my first run in my new shoes and did 11K in 53:22. The new shoes were amazing and it felt like I was running on a cloud for most of the run. It was difficult to slow down and at times when I thought I was running slowly I glanced at my watch only to discover that I was still running a fast pace.

I'm in the final preparations for my taper with just one more run to go (possibly two at the most). I will do another 10K on Wednesday and if I do run on Thursday it will only be about 5K at the most. What will make it difficult for me is the weather. Today was the first time in weeks that I didn't have to run with gloves and a double layer of clothing. I'm sure this also contributed to my speed today. I'm hoping that the weather in Peterborough will be as nice as it was today.

No comments: