Friday, May 05, 2006

Pre-Race rituals

So, with less than 12 hours before the start of my 30K race I will be eating my final "meal" in about 10 minutes.
Today has been a day of rest (no workouts) and plenty of water (4 Ltrs') and carbohydrates.
Like most runners, I'm very superstitious when it comes to races. I eat the same types of foods (blueberry bagels with peanut butter mostly) along with a BIG pasta dinner and a little bit of parmesan cheese. I've eliminated most fibrous foods for fear of upsetting my stomach.
Breakfast consisted of an egg white omelet with blueberry bagel and a potato with ketchup. Lunch was another bagel with peanut butter. In between I've been eating plenty of pretzels and a few frozen waffles.
In the morning I'll have my steeped tea and bagel from Tim Hortons and a banana.
I've just put all my pre-race items (mp3 player, water bottles, race belt, running shoes, and my gps 201 garmen) into my gym bag. Before bed I'll check the weather for tomorrow but have already decided to run in shorts and a long sleeve technical tee-shirt.
I can only imagine what next week will be like when I have to prepare for my first marathon.

No comments: